Total Pageviews

Tuesday 9 August 2011

Green Products I'm Trying:Updated

I'm always looking for day-to-day products (like cleaning products) that are easy to use, that work properly, and also reduce my waste output and the amount of chemicals I bring into my home. I recently found this website Grass Roots Environmental Products that has many interesting products I wanted to try.

Here is what I bought:

Himalayan Soap Nuts 250g for 9.99 (about the size of a medium sized freezer bag)

"For centuries, soapnuts have been used by people in northern Asia to wash their laundry and finest textiles (e.g. wool, silk, cashmere). They have also been used to make cleaning solutions for washing dishes, floors and hair.
Sustainably produced, biodegradable and compostable, soapnut shells are economical and leave your laundry fresh, clean and soft. Soapnuts are gentle on skin and clothes and suitable for sensitive skin, allergy and eczema sufferers."


I haven't tried them yet, but the directions say to place them in the cloth bag provided and place them in the washer with your clothes. I will update this post when I have used them.

I also bought reusable dryer sheets, as I can't live without a static remover, but I also hate buying wasteful products that only add toxic chemicals to the home.

Did you know you are supposed to wash your lint screen with soap and water regularly if you use dryer sheets such as Bounce because they leave a gooey chemical residue behind that blocks up the small mesh of the lint screen and can cause fires?
$14.99
"You'll think your clothes were dried in the breeze!
Static Eliminator is the world's longest lasting dryer sheet system. It eliminates static, softens fabric, and each box lasts an incredible 500 loads (two sheets per box).
Chemical free, safe for sensitive skin and 100% hypoallergenic, these anti-static powerhouses really get the job done."


Reviews of this product say that in drier climates you need to use both sheets per load in order for them to soak up all of the electricity that is conducted during drying. Again, I will write my own reviews after I use them.

I also purchased a portable water filtration system for school, because I hate the taste of chlorine and like to avoid buying water as often as I can. The system is 12.99 and came with some filter replacements, and the replacement filters that last 3 days or 1 gallons of water each, 16 in a pack was 9.99. One set of replacement filters plus the 4 that came with the system should last me both semesters of school.

The system is simply a tiny metal cylinder with holes and 2 plastic ends that hold a carbon filter that looks like a tea bag. Simply drop that into your water bottle and shake, and drink.

So far, since using it at work, it has taken away the taste of chlorine, but not the smell, which is interesting but good enough for me! The tea bags of carbon are compostable as well!




 I have since washed and dried a comforter and it came out clean and static free! Both products are working well.

I also washed a load of towels and cloths and they came out very clean as well, cold water both times.

You can see that the soap nuts do release soapy suds!
Since I think I have somewhat hard water, I put 10 halves in my little bag, and I will continue to use them until I don't see any more suds and write down how many loads that was.





No comments:

Post a Comment